GNSS applications are supported by several categories of devices, mainly smartphones and tablets, but also specific equipment such as tracking devices, digital cameras, portable computers and fitness gear. These devices support a multitude of applications tailor-made to satisfy different usage conditions and needs, including:
- Navigation: Route planning and turn-by-turn instructions based on GNSS positioning support both pedestrian and road navigation. Sensor fusion is enabling the uptake of indoor navigation.
- Mapping & GIS: Smartphones enable users to become map creators.*
- Geo marketing and advertising: Consumer preferences are combined with positioning data to provide personalised offers to potential customers and create market opportunities for retailers.
- Safety and emergency: GNSS, in combination with network based methods, provides accurate emergency caller location.
- Enterprise applications: Mobile workforce management and tracking solutions are implemented by companies to improve productivity.
- Sports: GNSS enables monitoring of users’ performance through a variety of fitness applications, such as step counters and personal trainers.
- Games and augmented reality: Positioning and virtual information are combined to entertain the user and improve everyday life.
- Social networking: Friend locators provided by dedicated apps or embedded in social networks use GNSS to help keep in touch and share travel information.